Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

#MTtalk: Journaling/Daily Writing Practice

Humans have written things down for thousands of years. We write down ideas, thoughts, dreams, and experiences. It's almost as if writing something down makes it more real and gives it an existence it didn't have up to then.

For most of my life, I've kept a journal, sometimes sporadically, sometimes diligently. But no matter how far or long I've strayed from my practice, I always return. I've discovered that my life's much improved when I'm journaling.

Mike
Mind Tools coach Mike Barzacchini.

Some people might not journal in the "dear diary" way but still do daily writing that benefits them. My fellow Mind Tools coach Yolande Conradie has a friend who's a poet. He decided to write out the numbers from one to a million in words.

The last time Yolande asked about it he said he was at number "four hundred thousand and fifty-something." It isn't reflective. It isn't poetry, songs, or anything deep. But his daily practice of taking his pencil in his hand and finding new ways of writing mundane words has become a creativity exercise of note! 

Experience the Joy of Journaling

"Document your dreams. Sketch that shape you saw. Write those lyrics before they fade out."

Michael Bassey Johnson

Why do I journal? I find it benefits me in many ways. First, it helps me find my focus. The pace of work and life can be crushing. Journaling resets me during challenging times. It's also useful for recording my progress. Whether keeping a daily, weekly or occasional journal, I find value in recording my victories, even the smallest ones. 

My journal also helps me to reflect on where I've been and where I'm going. I try to make sure I at least document important days, travels, milestones, and memorable moments.  Finally, a journal helps me to capture what's next. At various times I've kept an idea journal where I'll jot down some wild ideas. Sometimes these have led to very cool projects – all started in my journal! 

Please Join Us!

What: #MTtalk
Where: Twitter
When: February 17 @1pm ET (6pm GMT / 11:30pm IST)
Topic: Journaling/Daily Writing Practice
Host: @Mind_Tools

Journaling Tips

Journaling is a highly personal experience. You may have completely different reasons and enjoy different benefits. My own journaling habit continues to evolve in sometimes unexpected, always wonderful ways. 

As an avid journaler, here are my four tips to help you start (or restart) your journaling practice. 

  1. Make it convenient. I have one primary journal, but I also have notebooks throughout the house, in my car, and at my office. I also keep an annual journal for short notes and observations in Google Docs. I can access this on my laptop or phone. Sometimes I even text myself short notes and ideas.
  2. Strive for consistency. Can you schedule journaling for a particular time each day? 
  3. Stay courageous. If we can't be honest in our journals, then where can we be honest?
  4. Make it part of your self-care. Journaling can be part of being a more balanced, mindful person. You'll realize those benefits both on and off the page. 

Journaling/Daily Writing Practice

In our upcoming #MTtalk twitter chat we will be discussing the benefits of journaling and how to get started. We will also share some great journaling tips. Come and join this safe discussion space to share your thoughts and experiences!

In our Twitter poll this week, we wanted to know which of the statements about journaling or a regular writing practice best described you. Just under a majority of participants claimed not to journal at all, while nearly a quarter said they write but not daily. 

We'd love you to participate in the chat, and the following questions may spark some thoughts in preparation for it:

  • What time of the day do you write/journal, and why? Does it make a difference?
  • When did you first start journaling and who/what inspired you to do it?
  • How has your daily writing practice/journaling benefited you?
  • If you haven't practiced daily writing, how might you begin?
  • How can journaling help you reach your goals and change your habits?
  • What are ways you could apply daily writing or journaling to your work?

Resources

To help you prepare for the chat, we've compiled a list of resources for you to browse. (Note that you will need to be a Mind Tools Club or Corporate member to see all of the resources in full.)

Journaling for Professional Development

Stress Diaries

Developing Self-Awareness

The Cornell Note-Taking System

The Power of Good Habits

To-Do Lists

Activity Logs

How to Join

Follow us on Twitter to make sure you don't miss out on any of the action this Friday! We'll be tweeting out 10 questions during our hour-long chat. To participate in the chat, type #MTtalk in the Twitter search function. Then, click on "Latest" and you'll be able to follow the live chat feed. You can join the chat by using the hashtag #MTtalk in your responses.

The post #MTtalk: Journaling/Daily Writing Practice appeared first on Mind Tools.

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires